Friday 12 February 2010

Sydney - Day 2

--
Interesting day today. Our main objective for today was to get accomodation for tomorrow night (Saturday).

Our place today from the outside


Today and tomorrow are the celebrations of the chinese new year and everything in town is fully booked. It is one of the most popular festivities and prices sky rocketed, I asked in an Ibis and it was $500 a night!!!! but "unfortunatelly" they were fully booked already. Unbelievable!

On top of that I was experiencing some problems with my Australian mobile so we had to find a Telstra shop (local mobile operator) to sort out the problem. Once that got sorted we started calling and calling and calling..in the end WE FOUND A PLACE!, it´s quite far, in the outskirts I believe but at least we won't have to spend the night on the beach as we had anticipated after being turned down by more than 10 places.

When they told us we would have problems finding a place...they weren't joking!

But it wasn't all distress and disapointment there were some good bits too. :-)

This is to PROVE I was in Sydney:



And Aida was there too!

We when for a cruise around the harbour pointing out the main highlights, it lasted for about 1 and half hours and it was nice and relaxing.

This was the boat:

And this was the only picture I took during the whole cruise...sorry but it was way to hot to be outside...


For all of you suffering a Siberian type winter with temperatures below freezing, you'll probably hate me for saying this but it was a really hot day today, 33 C. I drank 3 bottles of water just in the morning! I lost count in the afternoon.

After the cruise we went to the Aquarium...and what a place!! the tunnels underwater are really quite something. I´ve never seen anything like it but you are so close to all the fish...it feels like being there swimming among the sharks...but without getting wet and eaten alive. :-)

I found a couple of friends down there. They were both a bit fishy though


The first unserwater tunnels were for the dugongs 
Up close and personal. Mr Dugong

And then down to another tunnel

There were also turtles with the sharks
And some rays too

All in all, a very stressfull day but with some good bits in it. I can't complain really. :-)

I suppose tonight we'll go and have a look at the celebrations...or it may be tomorrow, not sure...we'll see. Today We are very close to China town so impossible to miss it if it turns out to be today.

--

4 comments:

  1. Bueno, las fotos del acuario, IMPRESIONANTES... de nuevo, qué envidia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me pareció un acuario impresionante, fué Aída quien me dijo que estaba considerado como el mejor acuario del mundo, yo no tenía ni idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited it too, by chance (I have to say) and I loved it. Did you check out the zoo? Bondi? S...t, I have so much to read.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, we had lots of chances to see kangaroos, koalas, wallabies, wombas, etc... so we didn't get tempted by the zoo, besides...we had Bondi beach, Cogee beach, Manly beach etc... that was hard work investigating all those places. :-)

    ReplyDelete