Wednesday 24 March 2010

Alice Springs

--
Nice and relaxing day, we didn't do much really.

The accomodation we had in Alice Springs was quite nice although a bit far from the centre (20 min walk), it even had a swimming pool. It used to be a motel that got reconverted into backpackers accomodation so each set of rooms would have its own kitchen and bathroom.


We all met up for breakfast in the town centre. Today it was Mel's birthday so we had brunch at a local cafe.


Then we all said our farewells to each other and wondered around town. Some were to do some shopping, others, like yours truly, went to find a McDonalds to take advantage of the free internet, etc

I also went to have my hair cut, with this heat, the less you have the better and for my amazement they gave me an appointment for the afternoon. Alice Springs is quite a small village I wouldn't even call it a town but the hairdressing business must be thriving when I had to wait for 5 hours to get my hair cut. :-)  

They had a big sign outside saying, haircut $15, and I thought...that sounds reasonable...so I went inside to book it and the lady said it would be $25 so I pointed out the sign outside saying 15 and she said ah! then you want the apprentice haircut...ehhhmmm yeah...sure!

So at 16:30 I got my hair cut by an apprentice which was quite rough with the machine...there were times I really thought she had a problem with her boyfriend and was taking it on me. There was no visible bleeding and my hair had been trimed to the right level so I walked out of the shop feeling like the sheep I had seen to get shaun in Kangaroo Island...scared but happy to have lost all the extra hair. :-)

Anyway, the town had quite a nice centre with a main street closed to cars and full of all type of shops.



After the touch and go internet session and my hair cut I went to meet AĆ­da at the "backpackers resort", at dinner time we went to a local pizza joint which was about 5 minutes walk from the hotel. It was a bowling place with a restaurant that only open certain days and we were lucky today it was that day.

After spending the whole week getting up before the sun, we decided to have an early night since tomorrow we would be travelling to Perth and had to catch a flight.


--

No comments:

Post a Comment