Wednesday 8 February 2012

Day 18: Lake Wanaka - Queenstown

Our first stop of the day was in a totally unexpected place (I would have spent the whole day there)...

PUZZLEWORLD!!! 


 If you stop yawning for a few seconds you'll see that actually it was a very cool place. :-)




 First we went through some rooms that had some optical ilusions...

 From up close


from a distance


not so straight any more uh?

The below faces followed you everywhere...



Then there was this room that just getting inside it made you sick. I kid you not!. Motion sickness, although the room wasn't moving. It was weird.






Then the case of the shrienking room




Finally the best part... the maze!!

Yes a real life maze




I only had 30 minutes left so I run around like a maniac trying to find the 4 bloody corners...and I did...eventually...





All those hours playing World of Warcraft paid off eventually. :-)

When I was looking for the exit all proud of myself after finding the 4 elusive corners I saw everyone (from a high point) heading for the bus. I was out of time and I didn't know where the exit was so I jumped over a few fences I  climbed over a bridge and used a couple of the emergency exits (it was an emergency after all) to get to the bus just in time. :-)

It was a great experience and I could have easily spent a few more hours there.  :-)

The next stop was Kawarau bridge. The obvious question is...what's of interest on that bridge?.

I'm glad you asked. It was the first comercial bungee Jumping bridge in the world and 22 years later it's still going.

Relax! no, I did not jump from the bridge... no this time anyway. I had already tried Bungee jumping in Spain a couple of times and that was good enough for me but there were a couple of adventurous girls in the group who decided to give it a try.

Other people prefered to wait to Queenstown where you get a whopping 134 metres bungee jumping or the Cannyon swing which is a 70 bungee jumping plus a 300 metre swing. I would have loved to try that one but again...not enough days as I would have to stay an extra day in Queenstown in order to be able to do it.

As you can see this bungee jumping is no joke. 35 metres deep.









The bridge in itself was quite nice as well






And finally we made our way to Queenstown which turned out to be quite a small town. For some reason I was expecting a proper town like Wellington but it looked more like one of those winter towns in the pirenees close to a ski resort although it had its charm




















Tomorrow it should be an interesting day, the famous Mildford Sound.


 
View Thailand-New Zealand 2012 in a larger map

2 comments:

  1. Me gustaría ver fotografías de Yago, tirándose de un puente, seguro que
    ya las hay, y yo todavía no las encontré... no se... no se...
    Me gusta tu trabajo fotográfico.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pues sí que las hay... pero no en Nueva Zelanda...aunque tienen por lo menos 10 anhos...:-)

    Desafortunadamente... todavía no había empezado el blog de aquellas...

    ReplyDelete