Saturday 4 February 2012

Day 15: Lake Mahinapua - Franz Josef

Today was a bit dull again. A lot of travelling and little else.

Our first and only stop was at the Busman's centre


Weird place...apart from some animals

Goats



NZ wallabie


and again a similar sign as the one in the pub by Lake Mahinapua

It seems (or at least that's what I've been told) that the government is running a program to reduce the number of possums in the area (they are predators and are exterminating all of the local fauna).

What's wrong with that? you may wonder. Well what they do is to spread a certain poison (Sodium fluoroacetate) that ends up killing some other animals and filtering down into the undeground water hence  all the locals protest with big signs like above.

The trip is boring as you spend all day in a bus but I have to say that the views from the bus are spectacular. I started a new trend I would like to call bus-shots. I think it's worth taking pictures from the bus and on the move... I need a little more training as it's not as easy as it may seem but I'll get better over the next few days. :-)

For today you'll have to live with the below two clumsy shots



Finally we made it to Franz Josef and most of us went directly to the office of the glacier walks to sign up for the "full day walk in the Glacier".

This is supposed to be my third top highlight of NZ and I am really looking forward to it. If it's half as good as the Tongariro crossing I can die a happy man... but not yet...I still have a lot more countries to visit. ;-)

Our accommodation




View Thailand-New Zealand 2012 in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment