Thursday 12 January 2012

Back in Thailand




As everyone who has had the chance to talk to me in the past month or so knows I've been really looking forward to this trip.

My colleages at work said they could see it on my face! I´ll let you be the judge of that! :-)




 As you can see on the picture below, I packed really light, rucksack on the left 11Kg, rucksack on the right 6Kg



I'm not sure whether every time I travel I take fewer things than before or whether I'm going to be missing some very important item... we shall see...I still have the feeling, I could have packed, even lighter.

I also added a nice serrano ham sandwich to my hand luggage, you never know!...



There wasn't anything really remarkable about the flight, it was punctual when it left and also landed at the estimated time. What I did find remarkable though, was the increase on the taxi fare at the Bangkok, airport! ...although I've notice there is a train now going to the city centre, I need to check it out because I may use it on my way back when travelling to NZ.

The underground here (or should I say overground since it doesn't go under) it's pretty good and not too expensive so now that there seems to be the option, it would be silly not to use it.

This time I opted to stay at the CityChic hotel where I stayed a couple of years ago. It didn't disappoint me then and it didn't today either. :-)


Link to the hotel webpage

Rooms are nice


It comes with complementary bathrobe and flip-flops. :-)



There even is a swimming pool on the roof...and a gym!!... Today is already dark but I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

What I didn't remember from the last time was the special view to the bathroom



If you are a couple sharing the room, the above view will remove all the mysteries left in the relationship. You are not looking through the door, it is a window with direct views to the throne!!

I´d wish I knew what the hell was going on through the head of the architect that came up with this brilliant concept.

Although I must admit, it is not the first time I see this innovative architectural concept implemented in a hotel room... I´ve seen it before in one of the places where I stayed when I was in Botswana. Who knows it may be catching up and soon you may find it installed in a house near you.

As it was already getting dark but it wasn't terribly late yet, I decided to go for a walk and take a few snaps of the surrondings.

It seems that budist countries also celebrate Christmas... and new year too!! Or perhaps the God Dollar has more pull than any other...



You can actually see the pollution on the last picture with the tree.

I must admit that although I love Thailand as a country (my 2nd favourite country in the world) I´m not very fond on its capital Bangkok. The palpable pollution, the constant stink, noise and the coucaraches of the size of your hand that come out at night and you can find everywhere. Actually I may take a picture next time of one of them , just for your viewing pleasure!

And if you are missing London... you only have to enter in one of the multiple shopping centres...




Tomorrow I'll be on my way to Chiang Mai (night train) so I won't be able to upload anything to the blog, but as always I'll write an entry for tomorrow and upload it whenever I find a place to do it. :-)

Also, I have to buy a new keyboard.... this one doesn´t have the letter 's' and keeps adding ',' all the time and I have to go back and remove them... it's taking me ages to write...

Well, time to go to bed and try to ride the jet-lag!



View Thailand-New Zealand 2012 in a larger map

8 comments:

  1. Maria Jose Fernández12 January 2012 at 05:51

    Good night! There's no need to upload the photos of coucaraches!!!!! .... Thanks anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quién se le diga!!!! Bocata de jamón en Tailandia!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that same kind of thing in our first hotel in Hanoi... sooo weird!
    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. María José, I'll take it you wouldn't be trying the fried grass hoppers... I wonder how many Licor-cafés you would need to try that Thai delicatessen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bocata de jamón en cualquier parte... y no veas lo bien que sienta... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. María, I think the stress of crossing the road in Hanoi has erased some of my memories in order to protect my brain. ;-)

    I had forgotten the hotel in Hanoi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Si ahora vas a querer tomar las empanadillas, los calamares y el pulpito, jejejj

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria Jose Fernandez13 January 2012 at 10:46

    I think it would have to drink a bottle or more.... ENJOY!!!!

    ReplyDelete