Sunday 22 January 2012

Day 03 - Whangarai - Paihia: Poor Knight Islands


Another one bites the dust! (Road sign Collection)

That's right I've found the Kiwi road sign and I've seen some postcards with a posson road sign so I'll keep my eyes open for it! :-)

We were all coming back from the dive and I had seen it before on our way to Tutukaka so before we left Tutukaka to get back to Whangarai I asked the driver whether he would mind to stop. He stared at me like I just went mad and why would anyone wanna take a picture of a road sign but he said yes and forgot about it.

When we were driving by the sign I started warning the guy, it's here! it's here!, the guy had forgotten all about it and doesn't understand what's going on...until he remembers and starts to slow down... everyone in the car asking each other...what's up? what's going on?
Me and Rose, the girl next to me who I had met the day before, had previously agreed to become my photographer.

We jumped out of the car, crossed the road and started taking pictures... next thing you know another 2 passangers decide it's a cool idea and decided to join us... All is good in the world again!

There was another sign further ahead (two ducks) but after the kaos from the previous photographic session I decided to behave and kept my mouth shout... it just wasn't a good place to get kicked out from the bus...


Anyway, that was one of the highlights of today but not the only one... Today I went diving to the famous "Poor Knights Islands".

For starters it was my first cold water dive or as they like to call it here,...sub-tropical temperature. The water temperature ranges in between 18-21C in the summer times (now), lower in the winter times.
This means you need to suit up quite seriously 5-7 mm suits

You pretty much end up looking like a condom. I present you all exhibit A:



It seems to be a very popular diving destination because the boat I went in was fully loaded with at least 25 divers.




There is no coral nor as many colourful fish as you would expect to see in a coral reef but there were lots of fish and in this... "sub-tropical" waters they grow as if they were on steroids. There is also a jungle of seeweeds.

A fantastic place to dive, the only drawback I found was the great amount of divers...sometimes you had to queue up in order to see something.


Queueing up










After the first dive we went to a local cavern which apparently is the largest in the world of its kind. It was so large that the whole boat fit in it quite confortably.








More queueing up on the second dive


And lots and lots more fish






Lots of sting Rays
There was a nice arch in one of the Poor Nights islands too



After the dive, it was time to get back to Whangarai to catch the intercity bus to Paihia. That's when we stopped for the road sign


It turned out that another guy I met diving, Andero, was also catching the same bus so as we got early, we decided to go to a local pub and wait there... An original pub I must admit... judge by yourself.



When the bus left us in Paihia it was still day, so I went for a quick walk just before starting to look for a place where to have dinner.





It was a really good day... but at the end of the day I was knackered and didn't bother me much sleeping in a dorm of 8 people. I slept like a baby.




View Thailand-New Zealand 2012 in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment