Monday 19 December 2011

The New Zealand Experience

As most of you know, in January I'm going to Kiwi land!

As it is a very, very long flight I decided to make a stop in Asia, spend the night and take another flight the following day... but since I'm going to stop in Asia why not do something productive since I'm already there. O:-)

Several people have been recommending me to go to Chiang-Mai  (in Thailand), so since I was stopping in Bangkok I asked myself, why not take a train, check the place out, come back and head for New Zealand? :-)

So that's going to be the the beginning of my trip... nothing stressful, watch the elephants, some thai-boxing and make it back in time to Bangkok to catch my next flight.

Below you can see the New Zealand map with most of the trip highlighted. It's lacking the first 3 days going North to Paihia:




Once in New Zealand things are going to get really interesting. The first day I'll probably do nothing, it's very likely I'll be knackered from the jet-lag,  I'll have a walk in Auckland and chill out. The next day a trip to Paihia where I'll stay for an extra night and do some diving.

Have you heard of the Rainbow Warrior?

Now is one of the diving highlights in the area together with the  HMNZS Canterbury you can go and visit them!

Not to mention the Poor Knight Islands

After that, back to Auckland to start the real thing.

Below is my estimated itinerary which has been collated with the help of AĆ­da who has been my Guinea pig this year since she went to NZ back in November and did all the things I'm planning to do and some more. She even told me the things I could avoid as she knows my likes and dislikes when travelling.

She saved me so much time and research you wouldn't believe. Next time I'm on holidays I need to convince her to go before me. ;-)

I suppose I'll have to buy a guide book now since I won't have her around to give me all the cultural and geographic details of the areas we'll be visiting. I'm going to miss that. :-)

Anyway, below is the master plan:



DateRoute
18th JanAuckland-Paihia
19th JanExtra day at Paihia (diving)
20th JanPaihia-Auckland
21st JanAuckland-Hot Water Beach
22nd JanHot Water Beach-Waitomo
23rd JanWaitomo-Rotorua
24th JanRotorua-Taupo
25th JanExtra day at Taupo (Tongariro crossing walk)
26th JanTaupo-River Valley
27th JanRiver Valley-Wellington
28th JanWellington-Kaiteriteri
29th JanKaiteriteri-Westport
30th JanWestport-Lake Mahinapua
31st JanLake Mahinapua-Franz Josef
1st FebExtra day at Franz Josef (Glaciar walk)
2nd FebFranz Josef-Wanaka
3rd FebWanaka-Queenstown
4th FebExtra day at Queenstown (Milford Sound Tour)
5th FebQueenstown-Kaikoura
6th FebKaikoura-Wellington
7th FebWellington-Taupo
8th FebTaupo-Auckland
9th FebFlying back home

Let's see what happens in the end... I can't wait to be there!

2 comments: