Tuesday 17 January 2012

Day 01: First time in Auckland



Today was also a slow day, after the long flight I made it to Auckland at 10 am.

I had booked a room for the night at a local backpackers called Frienz  and as it was a bit too early to check in I left my luggage in their locker room, swapped a few valuables to the small rucksack and went to check with Kiwi-Experience (my excursions provider) that everything was OK.

After confirming the confirmation of the confirmation I enquired about getting a Kiwi mobile (sim card) and as it happens they had an offer and were giving them away... :-) yes... for free! I only need to top it up.

I also decided to risk it and try the diving, my throat is feeling better today so hopefully it'll continue to improve over the next couple of days.

After coming out of the Kiwi-Experience head office I just went for a stroll trying to familiarise myself with the town centre



Town Centre




and also took these pictures around the town hall.

 TownHall




My NZ guide book recommended a visit to the Auckland museum so I decided to head there next.





It was quite an interesting museum I even took a few photos...
Photo of a photo taken on 1931


It's a, pity you can't really appreciate how real these pictures look, almost like a photograph.




The backpackers place where I'm staying the night.




It doesn't look too good from the outside but it's not too bad on the inside



This time I took a room all to myself instead of a quad sharing.

With the lack of sleep from the past 5 days plus the new jet-lag I thought it would be a good idea to try and rest as much as possible...

I'd rather  being awake while travelling by bus tomorrow than doing all the trip asleep and miss the landscape.

The plan for the following 3 days is the following:

Day 1 (18th Jan) - Bus trip to Bay of Islands.
Day 2 (19th Jan) - Diving
Day 3 (20th Jan) - Return to Auckland.

Hopefully I may be able to pack some more activities on the day of arrival and departure. We shall see.

Lastly as an oddity this is what a Kiwi electrical plug looks like:


As always I'm not sure when I'll have another wifi connection but as soon as I find one I'll upload all the blog entries I have stored on my netbook up to that point.


View Thailand-New Zealand 2012 in a larger map

2 comments:

  1. Maria Jose Fernandez17 January 2012 at 08:57

    Like the pictures!!! (Art Gallery)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pity they don't look as good as the originals, some of the pictures where magnificent..

    ReplyDelete