Wednesday 27 January 2010

Day 3 - Cairns

--


I never thought I would say this but after 2 days without seeing the sun, today for the first time I got to see it. It was just for a brief moment, the sky open up and a few minutes later the sun disapeared again. Shy fellow this Australian sun.

You can almost see it coming up on these two pictures:





It was a nice day to walk about today



I was meant to ring the diving cruise company today in order to confirm my attendance to the diving cruise. I dialled the number I had and a message told me the service I was trying to access was not available at the moment...what the...? I´ve tried a couple more times (like maybe on the 4th try I would get a different outcome...human nature) and same result.

Okay...it must be me then...no worries. I took the shuttle to town, walked to the place and walked in, confirmed my attendance for tomorrow and asked them about the telephone...it turns out I was given the wrong number! no wonder nobody was answering! but at least now it's all settled for tomorrow.

The check out in the hostel is at 10 am tomorrow...so I´ll have to take everything to Mike ball (that´s the name of the company)



and then spend the day in town until 6pm when I´ll have to meet them at the boarding point (wherever it is), and be ready to depart!

Today it wasn´t Astralia day so most shops were open and although it´s been cloudy most of the day, at least it hasn´t rainned.

Right after lunch I went to one of the local McDonalds and sat in one of the tables outside (I still can´t take the smell inside, it reminds me of my times flipping burgers).

Mind you I wasn't attracted to this McDonalds because of the high quality and tasty food as you can imagine but because of the Free Wifi. :-) So I took one of the tables outside and started typing...it seems I wasn't the only one with that idea, a few minutes later I found myself surronded by people with their netbooks typing like maniacs all around me! and I thought I was the weirdo for doing it...




All I´ve done today basically is to look around for all the different activities that you can do in Cairns and I finally reduced the possible winners to the following 4...when I can back from the Great Barrier Reef I'll get back to Cairns for one or 2 days so hopefully I'll be able to do one of those...I still haven't decided which though. I admit suggestions. :-)





I´ll have a busy morning tomorrow with all the packing I´ll have to do but I'm really looking forward to the diving cruise...I haven´t done any diving in a little over a year and diving among sharks it´s something I'm a bit aprehensive about but it'll certainly be a unique experience.

Not sure whether I´ll have any access to the internet after tomorrow and while at the yatch/boat or whatever it'll turn out to be but even if I don't I'll keep typing and typing until I can update the blog. :-)


--

3 comments:

  1. Rafting & skydiving are SO cool!!! You HAVE to do it! Does your boat have a photographer?
    If you are going to be atacked by charks, we want pics!!!
    Did you finally take the pills for seasickness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are my favorites too, we are going to go to Surfer´s paradise in a few weeks so I may try surfing there.

    I'm not sure whether they rent cameras or whether they have a photographer like in Brazil...but there will be pictures no doubt!

    seasickness pill? 2 packs!! I'll probably pop a couple before setting my feet on the torture chamber...sorry, I meant boat on the boat...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me encanta la primera foto. Muy chula. S

    ReplyDelete