Tuesday 11 November 2014

Land of Smiles



Just when I thought I was done with Thailand... here I am again. Not my choice this time... Although, don't take me wrong, I am happy to be here again as this is one of my favourite countries. :-)

A couple of months ago Alex told me that he and a friend of his (Konrad) were coming here for some relaxing holidays and whether I would like to join them... as at the time I was looking for a holiday destination I decided to join them without a second thought. It's always a lot more fun to go with friends than alone...

They've rented an appartment with a swimming pool outside Jomtien (near the beach, a couple of hours south of Bangkok) so I suspect this will be the kind of holidays where you don't do much except for laying around the swimming pool with an occasional outing here and there...

Alex being Alex, he got a deal on his flight... the downside was that he and Konrad had to go Paris in the Eurostar, spend the night there and the following day catch their flight to Bangkok with a stop somewhere in China... I preferred to pay more and leave comfortably from Heathrow with a direct flight to Bangkok at a very reasonable hour. I suppose that means I'm either getting older... or wiser... or both :-)...

As a consequence of this roundabout way, by the time Alex and Konrad get to Bangkok I'll be waiting there for two days. It'll be tough but I'll try my best. ;-)

On my first day in Bangkok I didn't do much... I got there almost at midday, got the train to the centre. I could've taken a taxi but it takes more or less the same time... although the taxi costs 10 times more... Taxi has some advantages though, you would go comfortably seated with the air-con on all the way, the train has air-con but when you change for the BTS (overground train) you need to wait for it outside (in the shade but still hot) then air-con again until your destination and from there it was a small walk to the hotel. By the time I got there I really needed a shower... Bangkok at midday is very hot, I probably spent 15-20min outside in total... but when you go from 5C in London to 35C in Bangkok... your body notices it...

From the airport I took the train to Phaya Thai



From Phaya Thai I changed to the BTS and made my way to Nana


From there was a 10 minute walk to my hotel (the same I used a few times before)

Not cheap but very conveniently located in the centre, a big shopping centre nearby with a cinema, the BTS 10-15 min away and as you can see below it's clean and the rooms are quite spacious

So after the shower I had a quick "power nap" and then I went to the shopping centre for some much needed food and as I didn't have the energy to go anywhere after the long flight I decided to go to the cinema and watch Interstellar in 4D (yes that's a 4 I didn't mistyped).

I was wondering what the 4D where until I sat down and they started showing some trailers and out of the blue I felt like someone from behind sprayed some liquid on the back of my head, I inmediatly turned around to face my attacker when I noticed that all the seats were moving and vibrating and another spray came straight into my face directly from the sofa... yes... there weren't any weirdo's behind me spraying anything on me... it was the sofa!!! That's what the 4D means... your seat vibrates alongside the actions hapenning in the movie... I found it a pain in the ass... just as you are concentrating on the movie they start moving you around...vibrating... rocking the chair... call me old fashion but I prefer not to be hassled in that fashion while I'm watching a movie... I'll stick to the 2D and occasionaly to the 3D but that's the higher dimension I'm willing to go to. ;-)

Anyway... after the movie back to the hotel as I wanted to have an early start tomorrow....

On the way back I passed by a couple of small buddhist temples


Just a warm up for tomorrow as I have plans to to visit a couple of big temples here in Bangkok...


No comments:

Post a Comment